Monday 6 October 2014

Why a selfie challenge?

It might seem like a strange idea. And annoying. But there is a reason for me behind the selfie challenge. I don't know if I will make it a 100 days. I have already forgot one day. The number was arbitrary. The reason I chose to do this isn't to punish people with seeing my face everyday, or to weed out my friend list. It is selfie shame. The stigma that is attached to taking a selfie. The jokes and judgements that are made about people who do. That moment of hesitation I have always had before taking one. Will people think I am a narc? Will people think it is silly I take this selfie and put it on Facebook? Will they... STOP! Just stop. Why should I worry so much about taking selfies? All the articles that blame them for x,y and reasons. And I definitely should not judge others for doing so. Even if it is mostly just a shot of cleavage. It is their cleavage and if they want to put their cleavage on Facebook I need to turn of my self righteous attitude and stop judging.

I find we live in a society that spends a lot of time analyzing people and their motives. Trying to fix people and also trying to make everyone the same. I don't doubt that one can be too selfie obsessed. But that goes for anything. So that is my reasons for doing this challenge. To let go of my pride and to stop judging others, at least when it comes to selfies.

No comments:

Post a Comment